Welcome to David's website
David G. M. Mitchell received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom, in 2009. He is currently an Assistant Professor in the Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the New Mexico State University, USA. He previously held Visiting Assistant Professor and Post-Doctoral Research Associate positions in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of Notre Dame, USA. He is a Senior Member of the IEEE and his research interests are in the area of digital communications, with emphasis on error control coding and information theory.
- 05/08/17: Our tutorial talk “Spatially Coupled LDPC Codes: From Theory to Practice” was well received at the 2017 European School of Information Theory, Madrid, Spain.
- 02/12/17: Traveling to San Diego, CA, to present our papers "On the Finite Length Scaling Behavior of Spatially Coupled LDPC Codes" and “An optimized edge spreading approach to construct spatially-coupled LDPC codes” at the ITA Workshop.
- 01/17/17: Welcome to new M.Sc. student Xaviar Enriquez!
- 12/08/16: Promoted to Senior Member of the IEEE. Thanks to my referees!
- 10/30/16: Traveling to Monterey, CA, with Ph.D. student Ahmad Golmohammadi to present our paper “On the Windowed Encoding Complexity of SC-LDGM Codes for Lossy Source Compression” at ISITA 2016.
- 10/24/16: Welcome to Dr. Eirik Rosnes from the University of Bergen, visiting the ECE department this week to work with me on the design of spatially-coupled LDPC codes.
- 10/10/16: Recognized for completing the OCIP “New2Online” program. Promoted to Distinguished Member of the NMSU Teaching Academy.
- 09/10/16: Traveling to Cambridge, England, to present our paper “On the Block Error Rate of Spatially Coupled LDPC Codes for Streaming Applications” at IEEE ITW 2016.
- 09/06/16: Traveling to Brest, France, to present our paper “New Perspectives on Braided Convolutional Codes” at ISTC 2016.
- 08/27/16: Had a great time representing NMSU at the Annual Las Cruces “Touch-a-truck” event attended by 1000 learners from our community.
- 08/17/16: Welcome to new student Matthew Grimes!
- 08/16/16: Our new paper “Design of Spatially Coupled LDPC Codes Over GF(q) for Windowed Decoding” has been published in the latest IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.
- 07/17/16: Traveling for research visits to University Carlos III, Madrid and the University of Notre Dame, IN.
- 07/10/16: Traveling to Barcelona, Spain, to present our papers "Windowed Encoding of Spatially Coupled LDGM Codes for Lossy Source Compression" and "Performance bounds for Quantized LDPC Decoders based on Absorbing Sets" at ISIT 2016.
- 01/30/16: Traveling to San Diego, CA, to present our paper “Windowed Encoding of Spatially Coupled LDGM Codes for Lossy Source Compression” at ITA 2016.
- 01/21/16: Our new paper “Randomly Punctured LDPC Codes” has been published in the latest IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications.
- 08/20/15: Our new paper “Spatially Coupled LDPC Codes Constructed from Protographs” has been published in the latest IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.
- 08/17/15: Welcome to my new Ph.D. student, Ahmad Golmohammadi. Khosh amadid!
- 05/14/15: Traveling to Hong Kong, China, to present our papers "Approximating Thresholds of Punctured LDPC Codes on the AWGN Channel" and "Analyzing the Finite-length Performance of Generalized LDPC Codes" at ISIT 2015.
- 04/01/15: I will be starting a new position as an Assistant Professor at New Mexico State University in Fall 2015. Go Aggies!
- 03/15/15: Our new paper “Performance Comparison of LDPC Block and Spatially Coupled Codes over GF(q)” has been published in the latest IEEE Transactions on Communications.